Monday 30 March 2015

Featuring Chron Burgundy


Introducing Chron Burgundy aka Foul-Play, a lyricist of note, a legend in his own right, if you did not know... Now you know, peep this young candid inner-view with Mr Chron.




Who is Chron Burgundy?

Chron Burgundy is the nicest emcee you going to find, out now… Charisma, style and good ol’ fashion bars. A lot of people still know me as Foul-Play, but I have grown and developed into an all new machine. If you know Foul-Play, you probably a fan of Chron Burgundy. Foul-Play will always remain a part of where/how I came up in the game. A lot of people still call me Foul-Play, and it’s all love when they do ‘cause I know who my day 1’s are.

What made you choose the career that you are doing now?

I never chose it… Hip-Hop chose me (as corny as that sounds). From the very first day I was introduced to rap music, I was instantly hooked. It became addictive. I studied the art of rap music, Hip-Hop fashion and the overall culture that is “Hip-Hop”. It’s somewhat of a religion to me, it’s everything I am and everything I represent.



 Tell us more about your typical day? 


Typical day is promoting the music as much as possible. When you an indie artist like myself, you gotta double the work and keep the name in people’s faces. So if I’m not conceptualizing songs, art work, videos, writing, I’m usually promoting the music… When I have the time, I’m at gym or on the PS4. Sometimes I’ll replace that with watching series or movies. I’m a crazy movie buff. That’s why my first solo project #Sandcastles had an Intro from a movie (Rocky), and the outro was from a series (Breaking Bad). My sophomore project will have a lot more skits and samples taken from a variety of films. I just got a new MPD32, so I’ll be spending a lot more of my time making beats.


What do you do when you are not doing what you regularly do? 

 Buying sneakers or just kicking with my homies, smoking blunts and flourishing. I hardly see a lot of people due to other commitments, but it’s always good to take time out from everyone. Familiarity breeds contempt, so when people think I’m not their friends anymore, it’s actually just the opposite haha. Sometimes I really do just get too busy, to do anything outside of what I regularly do.


Tell us about the best part of your work?

The conceptualizing of the work is my favorite… Being creative and building everything from start to finish. When the final product is done, I feel the urge to work on something new again. Just to have that creative feeling inside of me. I hate just being stagnant with nothing to do… I need to be as active in my field as I possibly can. I suppose that’s how it goes with everyone though, right?



How/where do you see yourself/your work in the next 3 / 5 years from now? 

In 3/5 years time, the TTE Empire will be a success. Myself and my team will be living lavish off the hard work… But I’m not focused on 5 years from now, I’m focused on the hard work that’s going to get us there.


What is your favorite childhood memory?

Getting that Ice Cube: The Predator tape, going home and listening to it so much that the cassette warped. I gotta thank Karabo from Jeppe Primary, for putting me on to that. That’s what essentially birthed the emcee you know today.



Is social media adding or subtracting from the youth?

 Both… I mean, it’s taking a lot away from the youth actually being young and living their childhood lives. Kids now days are acting older than their age, due to the shit they see and read about, on social media. I think information is essential, age dependent. Kids are exposed to more information than they need right now.



Who is your inspiration/role model? 


Honestly, no person in particular. I’m inspired by people who have goals and actually pursue their dreams. Everyone can be inspirational in their own way… Not only celebs. However, my mom is my biggest inspiration. All she has achieved being a single mom, she has earned a lot. I won’t go into details of the come up, but yeah… If I singled out one person, my mom is my real role model.


If you could throw a parade of any caliber through the President's office what type of parade would it be?

 Obviously an independent music parade… Show casing independent music of all genres. It would be mad fun, ‘cause we would have a long ass parade. It would surprise this country though, with the large number of musical talent we have out here. It’s kinda insane how many talented people I have met, and meet on the regular.


What is your least favorite thing about the music scene lately?


Lack of originality. Everyone is copying everyone else. Nobody is being authentic in their own right. Music is about expressing your own voice, your own thoughts and making this relative to a larger group of people… Music today, lacks that… Everyone bites now, nobody has their own sound. It’s not fly at all, despite how fly they think it is.



What kitchen utensil are you?

Haha, what? Uhmmm, I’m probably a butchers knife/ The type, to slice, Ashton Kutcher’s wife… I have no idea, never thought of myself as a kitchen utensil, but a butchers knife suits me, ‘cause I can cut through any bullshit life throws my way.

What was the last gift you gave someone?

I got my girlfriend a pair of sneakers. She loves sneakers as much as I do. Sometimes we even make love with our sneakers on hahaha (I’m kidding…or am I?)



Are you a night owl or morning person?

 Night owl… But I am known to sing ballads in the mornings though haha. It just depends on how my mood is at the time. I’m a Gemini, you never know what personality you going to get one day to the next.


What would we find in your fridge right now?

 Not much, it’s that time of the month where the cupboards are bare haha.

PS or XBox? 

PS all day… I won’t debate why, because it’s purely a preference thing. The games and game play aren’t different at all, it’s just merely how you wanna floss amongst your friends I suppose. I love gaming, so this question could have been fun if I wasn’t rushing to type as much information in such a short time.



Shisa nyama or Pub?

Shisha Nyama fam… I’m hood like that!!



What is your most embarrassing moment?

Forgetting my verse at a performance we did a few years back… That shits super embarrassing haha. I don’t think anything has been more embarrassing than that actually. It was a bruise to the ego, and you know how egotistical we rappers can be.



If this is our last ever conversation, what words of wisdom would you leave me with?

Live lavish… Don’t listen to peoples opinions, but rather trust your own gut feeling… Get money, and be happy! Life happens once, so make the most of it before you count your regrets instead of your blessings! Uno!


www.twitter.com/chronburgundy
www.instagram.com/chronburgundypix
www.youtube.com/chronburgudnytv


No comments:

Post a Comment