Tuesday 17 June 2014

Featuring Auriol Hays


Good morning and happy Friday Risers, as previously stated that we love art and all its creative elements, not just restricted to poetry and design. With that said, it is a great honour to introduce a very talented South African musician from the Cape, Ms Auriol Hays.We did a quick Question and Answer to familiarize ourselves with this great lady. If you are near and or around Stellenbosch make your way down to the Bilton Wine Farm for A Winter's Night with Auriol Hays on the 27th of June, details on the links below.





Who is Auriol Hays?

A weirdo musician, mother to a crazy girl, lover of books, crazy tv series, smart men, whiskey and curry!

What made you choose the career that you are doing now? 

It's not a career but a calling. There was no other choice. I felt the pull towards music since I was a small girl. I just never thought that I would actually get to be on stage and sing. I always knew I would never really be happy unless I was a musician... and it turns out I was right about that!

Tell us more about your typical day 

I wake up (no wait, I am awoken by my cat who always annoys me for food), then I fix a cup of coffee, have some breakfast, stalk a few people and listen to my daily recommended dose of songs and a few Ted Talks. That's the only way I can wake up properly. The rest? I have a white board where I list all the things I need to do. Then I get started. I spend most of the my time writing music in the afternoon or at night. 

What do you do when you are not doing what you regularly do? 

 Music is always on my mind. I do love spending time with my family and friends. I go to my favorite bookshop and to the beach, watch a movie..

Tell us about the best part of your work 

I love the people I get to meet along the way. And not the faqncy-smancy rich and famous people either. I meet amazing people who inspire me in so many ways. Those people usually end up becoming really good friends. I love the lead-up to a show... the butterflies, the excitement... I equate it to the feeling one gets one is about to meet a lover... haha!

How/where do you see yourself/your work in the next 3 / 5 years from now

I would like to own a studio in the middle of a forest! Or renovate a church into my home. I will always write music and tour. The rest? I would like to be happy...with someone I love, family and friends. Oh, and travel! I would love to travel all the time

What do you think of todays' trends in social media and society in general?

I ignore them to a great extent. If something can be of use in my career - then I will consider it seriously and implement it. Th rest? I observe...and if need be will comment on it in music or when I blog.

Who is your inspiration/role model? 

The people I love are all my role models. Many of them are imperfect and flawed...and that's why I love them. Usually people who have been hurt or know pain are the most empathetic people out there. They have the biggest hearts and do not judge anyone. I make sure that  I am surrounded by people I admire and respect. People who always urge me to be better and do more. I hope I can give that back to them..


What is your favorite holiday spot/food/gadget? 


I am terribly boring...I love the beach and a  good book shop. That's how I reward myself after a gig...I buy books. I love a good curry, port and whiskey! Gadegt? My Marshall headphones...I go nowhere without them.

What side of the bed do you sleep on? 

On the left..unless my cat decides to pop in...

What is your favorite childhood memory? 

My fondest memory...when my family and I go hiking up the mountain. 

What is your favorite movie? 

Adaptation, The Fountain, Cloud Atlas, The Wedding Singer (when I need a laugh).

Are you a night owl or morning person? 

I am anything but an afternoon person. Afternoons are meant for sleeping!

Are you messy or a neat freak? 

The only time my room is messy is when I get ready for a show. Then..I wouldn't want anyone to come into my room. It really looks like  a bomb hit it! But I love my room and that everything in it is in its place..

What color is your toothbrush? 

Pink... My daughter gave it to me... As a joke!

Are you a good driver? 

I am a cautious one... and will never get into my car without a good playlist. I am the kind of lady who sings loudly and nods her head like  a lunatic while driving...

McDonalds or KFC? 

KFC... Those zinger wings are pure evil!

Do you like to surf the internet?

Love it and am an addict!

 Do you have any allergies? 

Healthy as a horse...


What is your most embarrassing moment?

Once I was on stage and well...I had to turn away from the audience as my boobs were about to pop out! No one but my band noticed, thank goodness! Oh this was on the opening night at the Joy of Jazz by the way. Since then I ensure that my boob are always firmly strapped in!

If this is our last ever conversation, what words of wisdom would you leave me with?

The time will never be right for anything...so jump, do it, LIVE!

Catch Ms Hays performe at the Bilton Wine Farm on the 27th of June 2014, official promo link below.


For more info and to keep up to speed with Auriol Hays check out the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment