Sunday 8 February 2015

Featuring Donald Neosapien Mokgale

Good morning and happy Monday Risers, This weeks Candid Interview features the talented Donald Neosapien Mokgale who is a Poet, Fitness Model, creative and Advertising Strategist to name just a few. Let's get to know this talented soul.


Who is Donald Neosapien Mokgale?

Donald Neosapien Mokgale is a multi-faceted thought leader, writer, speaker, fitness model, poet, artist, creative, advertising strategist and lover of God. 

What made you choose the career that you are doing now?

I went into advertising because I fell in love with it while watching generations over a decade ago haha. I originally wanted to become an actor though but my parents weren’t having it, so I had to choose another career which I was passionate about which I could use to eventually go back into acting and media was it. I have always been an artist and I love creating things, so advertising made sense because it allows you to do precisely that. 

Tell us more about your typical day?

I wake up at 03:30am and prep for gym and hit it with my training partner until 6am and then drop him off and head to work where I put on my advertising strategist hat on from then until 5, then if I couldn't make gym in the morning this is when I go and if I could, I usually take this time to meet with people I esteem (friends, potential business partners, stakeholders etc) and if I don't have one of these then I usually go home and read/write new material for my website www.donaldtheneosapien.co.za or write new content for either Blaque.co.za or teamysi.co.za or new poems as I am a poet who specializes in corporate events.

What do you do when you are not doing what you regularly do? 

Read books, articles, watch movies/series, here and there I will squeeze in some playstation 3 haha. I also try and meet up with friends and acquaintances and I also have a few young people I mentor so I will always try my best to prepare things for them during this down time and hang with them to catch up so we can share our experiences.


Tell us about the best part of your work?

It is when client acknowledges the value of my strategic input in meetings, on campaign briefs, it is essentially adding value and making meaningful contributions to everything I do and receiving feedback that assures me of this.


How/where do you see yourself/your work in the next 3 / 5 years from now?

I see myself having pioneered the way in which Performance poetry is perceived and used in South Africa, I see myself being so in demand with companies that I will have to resign from advertising strategy full time and do it on a consultative basis, being a successful model and fitness model and working as an MC as well for various corporate functions. I see myself making use of my strengths and excelling in them and pushing the boundaries with them. I want to make my first magazine cover within 5 years, whether that is Men's Health because of my physique and lifestyle or Destiny Man because of the innovation and business of poetry I do, perhaps even GQ because of both who knows but I am ambitious haha.

What is your favorite childhood memory?

It is being a lead actor at a play we performed to the whole school in primary, that was my first acting gig and the teachers could not stop raving about how amazing and natural I was, I became famous in the whole school because of that play, I remember how at home I felt performing, I will treasure that forever.

How do you think Social media has impacted on poetry?

It has impacted on poetry in an incredible way!! It has opened up doors that were previously shut, because of social media, we are now able to reach audiences that were otherwise closed off to the entire artform, this is presuming that we as poets and organizers make good use of social media.

 Who is your inspiration/role model?

I have a plethora of people who inspire me for various things but I will name a few; Vusi Thembekwayo, Simeon Panda, Zethu Mashika, Herberto Tukakgomo, The LazarusMan and Jesus Christ to but name a Few. I am too multi-faceted to have just one person whom I draw inspiration from.

 If you could throw a parade of any caliber through the President's office what type of parade would it be?

Eish, I probably wouldn't, I'd rather make better use of those kind of funds to help young people with exposure to new things to expand their thinking which is a huge problem in the townships, they dream small because they have limited references, this has to change. We need more scientists (as an example) coming from townships. 

If you could ask Hitler on question what would it be?

Do you believe in the principle of forgiveness?

 If you were an animal for a day, what animal would it be and why?

An eagle. I am fascinated by how it handles challenges, specifically storms in its life.

"What was the last gift you gave someone?

My time.

 Are you a night owl or morning person?

Night owl haha.

Are you messy or a neat freak?

I am more neat than I am a neat freak but I won't claim to be a total neat freak.


if your were to change one thing about yourself what would it be and why?
It would be, to stop overthinking things sometimes and make bolder decisions.

favorite destination?

The mind of an intelligent person. I have not travelled enough to be able to have one of those yet. In South Africa, I'd have to say Hermanus, the splendor that is that place.


What is your most embarrassing moment?

Too embarrassing to say haha! Sheesh uhm it'll have to be when I sent an email to the wrong person, specifically the person whom I was advising against. That takes the cake, haunts me to this day.

 If this is our last ever conversation, what words of wisdom would you leave me with?

Be true to yourself, make time for self discovery, pursue your dreams no matter how hard it is, do not live life too cautiously in fear of failure, don't be afraid of making decisions, make good use of your time don't ever idle that is suicide. Read books, fall in love with knowledge and apply it in your life, embrace every moment and invest in yourself and always share your successes with others, give back and help by mentoring someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment