Thursday 4 May 2017

FEATURING PRIMUS LAIDEE


Who is Primus Laidee?

Primus Laidee is an extension of me. All the things I wish I could say or be without having to bite my tongue or suppress my feelings. When Bongiwe grows, Primus Laidee also evolves.

How did you get into music?

I got into music through poetry. From a very young age I started writing poetry and looked up to the likes of Kriss Kross and LL Cool J. It wasn’t until I was 16 years old when I decided to turn one of my poems into a song during Biology class that poetry and music came together for me. In fact I think it only occurred to me after that RAP was actually an acronym for rhythm and poetry.

Tell us more about your typical day.

My typical day involves me having a cup of green tea in the morning, checking my emails, doing some admin then tackling whatever the day has in store for me. Most of my creativity happens at night though. During the day, I deal with the formalities of life: unless I’m in studio.

What do you do when you are not doing what you regularly do?

I own and run a catering company called Primal Instinct Foods, so that also takes up some of my days. I’m also a serious DIY junkie. Whether it’s making my own yoghurt, soap, jewellery, bags, gardening, etc. I love pushing the limits of what I can do with my hands. Plus I love natural and organic products.

Tell us about the best part of your work

The best part about my work is not being bound to one specific activity. There’s a lot of flexibility and freedom that comes with being an artist or being self-employed. It does take something special to tackle that much freedom though; you need a lot of discipline. It can be scary. If you don’t know how to fill your time with useful and meaningful activities, you’ll feel very vulnerable and unstable.

How/where do you see yourself/your work in the next 3/5 years from now?

I don’t like to set a time for my goals and aspirations. I believe where we are in this moment is where we should be. Progress is gradual and varying. Depending on how badly I want or work at something, it could happen tomorrow or in 3 years. Also, I believe we don’t necessarily get what we want in life, we get what we need. I just focus on my passion and work hard to be better than yesterday. Setting time can make one too comfortable and a little complacent over time.

What are the challenges faced by female artists in the
 music industry?

As if it’s not bad enough that we have to compete in unequal standards against men, we also compete amongst ourselves. Females act like there’s only one spot for a female in the industry. Everyone wants to be and believes that they are the best but there’s plenty of room to share. Also, women are often not taken seriously, especially in hip-hop. You’re often met with chauvinistic behaviour. So you either fight for acceptance, sexualize yourself, or find a balance that works.

What is the colour of your morning slippers? 


Black.

Which artist have you enjoyed working with most?

Honestly, I make the most of collaborations I do. I love working with anyone I work with cause each artist teaches me something different about myself.

Who is your inspiration/role model?

I don’t have one specific role model. I draw inspiration from many people and places for different reasons and different time periods.

What is your favorite holiday spot/food/gadget?

Holiday Spot: Garden Route.

  Food: I’m such a foodie. I would feel like I’m cheating on all my other
favorite foods if I chose one. The only food I’m not too crazy about is Asian food: with the exception of Chow Mein and Chow Faan.

Gadget: My phone.

What movie best describes you?

Queen Of The Damned.

What is your favorite childhood memory?

Hanging out with my cousins during the holidays. We would play games, play pranks on each other, go on excursions, laugh, fight, eat together… it was crazy and fun. I’m such a child at heart.

If you were a cartoon character, which character would you be?

Kim Possible or Nazz Van Bartonschmeer from Ed, Edd and Eddy.

Are you a night owl or morning person?

Definitely a night owl.

Are you messy or a neat freak?

I’m in the middle but definitely more of a neat freak. For instance, if my bed isn’t done, at least the rest of my room needs to look decent. Clutter makes me feel uneasy and kind of claustrophobic.

Play or Monster?

None, if I can help it. I’m not a fan of synthetic energy.

McDonalds or KFC?

McDonald’s. Hands down. I love that cardboard food.

If you could throw a parade in the president’s office,
what would it be?

A charity parade where people donate groceries to give to as much families as possible. Ideally, I would like to provide each needy family with at least three months’ worth of groceries. Having food is so important and everyone
deserves that.

Do you have any allergies?

I have photosensitivity, which is a sun allergy. I also have chronic allergic rhinitis, which is triggered mostly by pollen, dust and animal dander.

What is your most embarrassing moment?

When I was 8 years old, I chipped my tooth real bad during break time at school. I was mortified. We had assembly afterwards and I didn’t speak until my mother came to pick me up from school.

If this is our last ever conversation, what words of wisdom would you leave
me with?

The people who are the closest to you can hurt you the most, and they know it. Therefore, never feel guilty for not being able to readily forgive or give a pass to those people. If you meant as much to them as they mean to you, they would’ve known better than to screw you over.
For Bookings, music,videos or more info, click on the links below.

Email: info.primuslaidee@gmail.com
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bongiwe-primus-dlamini
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PrimusLaidee

No comments:

Post a Comment