Wednesday 2 December 2015

Featuring Claudine Marshall


 Who is Claudine Marshall?

Claudine is a singer/ songwriter from Johannesburg. Her mission in life is to take the South African music industry by storm!

What/who got you into music?
My dad did, growing up, he was always playing music around the house and that was how we bonded, we were always singing along to our favorite songs

Tell us more about your typical day

I have 2 types of typical days…. I have a full time job, so in the week, I am a personal assistant who spends her days typing out documents, making phone calls etc, then I after work I either have to prepare for a studio session or a show. Another typical day would be a weekend which does not include work, so I would sleep till late morning and if I have a gig later, I would either be shopping for a pretty dress for my show or just spend the afternoon chilling and saving my energy for the show at night.

How would you describe your music?

I predominantly do House music, so I would describe what I bring to the table as fun, sexy and flirty….

Tell us about the best part of your work

The best part of my work is the fact that I can write what I feel and put it into a beautiful melody and sing it to people.

How/where do you see yourself/your work in the next 3 / 5 years from now?

In the next few years, I see myself performing overseas, releasing more music and starting a “female only” production company.

What is your favorite childhood memory?

Dancing to old school music with my dad in the lounge.

How can artist use music to influence positive change in the community?

Music should not only be about flossing, showing off and bragging about how much money I made, it should move the soul and have meaning and should be used to inspire people, with that being said, there should be concerts or shows followed by workshops for the less fortunate…

Who is your inspiration/role model?

Candice Pillay! She is a South African born, Indian girl who relocated to the states over 10 years ago to pursue her dreams of being a singer and finally her big break came when she featured on Dre’s new album. She is an inspiration because she never gave up.

If you could throw a parade of any caliber through the President's office what type of parade would it be?

I am always performing at venues, where it’s loud and crowded, so I would rather wanna have a dinner and discuss social issues in our country.

What is your least favorite thing about the music scene lately?

My least favorite thing about the industry is the males in the industry who abuse their power, who imply that you have to sleep with them to get ahead… it’s been happening for ages and it’s something I wish I could change.

What kitchen utensil are you?

Lol! Silly question! I am a whisk! Only because whisks are used in baking…. And I love all things yummy!

What was the last gift you gave someone?

The last gift I gave someone was throwing them a birthday party

Are you a night owl or morning person?

Is it possible to be both? There are nights when I cannot sleep because my mind is racing and I’m thinking about. when my next gig is and then there are nights when I do sleep but wake up really early, full of excitement and energy!

What would we find in your fridge right now?

Right now, I’m eating healthy, so you will find lots of lettuce, carrots, olives, feta cheese and balsamic vinegar, ask me again in December and I’ll tell you only chocolate cake!

How do you prepare for a performance?

A few hours before the show, I am always home, so I take my microphone or even my hair brush, lol! Whichever is closest and I practice in front of the mirror, lol! Then when I get to the venue, sip on an alcoholic beverage to calm my nerves, followed by a cup of ginger tea.

What has been your highlight in 2015?

Oh wow! That question just lights me up! I have more than 1 highlight! First, my performance on Sisterhood, ETV in January this year and when I was an opening act for Black Motion in November this year and to actually have one of the members of the duo say that he enjoyed my performance, that was an awesome moment for me.

What is your most embarrassing moment?

I am very calculated and always thinking of the worst that could happen and try to avoid it, so I don’t have an embarrassing moment to share, what I would be most embarrassed about is if I were to fall while I was on stage! I sincerely hope that it never happens to me! Lol!

If this is our last ever conversation, what words of wisdom would you leave me with?


Talent is God Given. Be Humble. Fame is Man given. Be Grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be Careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment