Monday 3 August 2015

Featuring Envyloopdigger




Who is Envyloopdigger?

Envy is a beat maker/producers from Limpopo.

How did the name come about?

Got the name after I did some beat mix for some crew from my hood, cats were busy going on about how they envy me and my ability to flip different sounds, I just took the name right there.

What made you choose the career that you are doing now?

I can`t say I chose it, like this thing has been with me forever, as kid I was always listening to the radio, recording myself on the radio while beatboxing, you know the signs were always there, always going through my parents music collection, like I started collecting at a early age, I wasn’t aware I was going to do this as my career, I always thought I was going to be doing art, because I can draw, everything changed when my bro came home with a dj software and from there I got  mad interested and started buying production software.

Tell us more about your typical day.

Well it depends on my schedule, because there are days where my day starts at 5AM and got to go to the SABC and do a current affairs show which goes on air at 6AM and ends at 7AM, later from there either working on adverts or recording some programs, but in between I`m making music, like I have to make up to five beats a day, which I used to make up to twelve a day depending on my work load. 

Tell us about the best part of your work.

Making the music, its therapeutic. 

How would you describe your sound?

Soulful, some say it’s a old school East Coast vibe, but yeah SOUL. 

What do you use to make beats?

Reason5, FL Studios9, Cubase SX2, Live8, Wav Lab6, Akai MPC500 & Korg Esr Sampler.

How/where do you see yourself/your work in the next 3 / 5 years from now? 

3 years from now I see myself touring the world, producing for different local and international artist, I see myself  performing at Ibiza with my partner, oh yeah got production/dj crew “Distant Beats dB” me and my buddy Thabiso Kgabung, but yeah that will be another interview lol…but on the real more music production, movie scoring and more radio production, would love to do some music compiling for radio shows, so yeah that’s what I`m focusing on.

How did Brooklyn meets Africa come about?

It started with me doing a song with Prince Michael, were it go to a point we were just sending songs back and forth, my homie Vez decided to jump on, we all started hooking up beats for Prince, like originally the project was suppose to feature different artists and producers but cats were not willing to jump on board, so the three of us just decided to 
keep pushing and doing songs together, we ended up with a really dope album, even after the release of the album we never stopped working, we completed Vol.2 in just about 3 months after the release of Vol.1, so we still have a lot of music for y'all in the pipeline.

Whichproducer/s inspires you locally and abroad?

Dj Spinna, Madlib, Pete Rock, Black Milk, Hipe,Dj Premier,Dj Jazzy Jeff,Atjazz,Andy Compton,Glenn Underground,MF Doom ,Planet Earth, Freddie Joachim, 9th Wonder, Mr Diba$e, Illa N and Vez The TimeKeepers.

Do you think producers get the recognition they deserve?

I don’t think they get recognition, that’s why you see the current trend where some producers try to come out in the front, instead of being the man behind the scene, now the producer is the guy in the spotlight, either featured in the video or hooking up their own studio videos or hooking up their own production albums.

Tell us more about your upcoming project Remembrance?

Well this project is about me sticking to my guns, not listening to anyone or following trends, like just letting cats know it is ok to be different and no one should tell you how to make music, like I listen to my soul yo, I went back to the basic on this one, its super short, simple soulful beats, I don’t want to complicate music, wanted to make something that even a person who is not music literate can understand and appreciate…maybe inspire a few who have lost the passion for this art.

Where can people listen to more of you material?

People can check out the music on my Soundcloud or Reverbnation pages::



Are you open for any collaboration locally, if so which artist would you like to work with?

I`m always down to collaborate with local artists, anyone whose willing to work, but yo top of my list is Tumi of the V, ProVerb, The Layders, Dineo Moeketsi, Nonku Phiri, Zulu Boy, MXO and Zola.

If you were 80 years old, what would you tell your children?

God gave you the tools/talent use them and pass the message onto to your kids.

If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you, and why?

Michael B Jordan, I dig the dude`s work ethic, plus his a good actor, still a underdog, kind of reminds me of myself.

What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently?

Just happened the other day, some lady turned me down in the worst way haha DAMN!!!!

Where would you go in a time machine?

1998 – 1999 Electic Lady Studios, the making of The Roots- Things Fall Apart, Common – Like Water For Chocolate, Erykah Badu – Mama`s Gun and D` Angelo – Voodoo albums!!

Beer or Cider?

Milk on the rocks!!!

Are you messy or a neat freak? 

I`m a neat cat, but not hectic, I just like when my things are in order

Are you a night owl or morning person?

*Night owl

Any collaboration on the cards between you and Vez TheTimeKeeper?

We have been talking about it for about some time now, hopefully in the near future we will hook up something for yall, but for now Brooklyn Meets Africa its what we have been working on and yes Vol.2 is done... oh be on the lookout for Vez`s rap project, yes homie doesnt make beats only, but his also a very talented emcee and song writer!

If you were having a dinner party and could invite three famous people, who would they be?

Esperanza Spalding, Elle Varner and Dineo Moeketsi...yeah!!!!

What is your favorite holiday spot/food/gadget?

Illovo Beach”Kwazulu Natal”/ Cottage Pie/My Laptop

Last gift you gave someone?

Flowers…..hey I`m a romantic guy haha

If this is our last ever conversation, what words of wisdom would you leave me with?

Never give up on your dreams.


6 comments: