Monday 6 July 2015

Featuring FlexBoogie




Who is Flex Boogie?

A character Hakeem Anderson-Lesolang made up who doesn't stick

To the script all the time. Entertainer and quiet a refined lad. A Lord really!

What/who inspired the name?

When I was young I used to breakdance and used the name Flex.
When I started rapping however I was called Boogie because my choice
of  beats would always be funk and disco. I grew up and just combined
the stage names to FlexBoogie.

What made you choose the career that you are doing now?

It chose me really and music has never left me since I can remember.
Its the only thing close to love and books that's consistent in my life.

Tell us more about your typical day.

Wake up. Wudhu. Pray. Read. Call the BecauseBlack team.
Depending on events, visit the tailor and the barber. Write and
Post on social media. Check emails over tea. Respond to emails
Over tea. Rehearse if I must. Call to check album progress.
Attend meetings and make it home to my woman for dinner.

What do you do when you are not doing what you regularly do? 

In a plane, in a car, in an interview, at a restaurant with a band of thieves
or yelling orders somewhere in the continent.

Tell us about the best part of your work.

Seeing how it affects, touches and change people to the better.
And the money is great. I don't come cheap after all.

How do you prepare for a performance?

I pray and ask for greatness then deliver greatness as the answer.

How/where do you see yourself/your work in the next 3 / 5 years from now? 

International brand name. I won't have the worries I have now definitely.
I'm growing and so I'll have at least two published books by then. Two albums
hopefully and some side merchant to appease my growing fanbase.

What songs best describes your work ethic?

Every song on the greatest sellout. Mostly where I'm not rapping for rappers.
#MyPeople for example.

Which artist/s inspires you locally and abroad?

Janelle Monae. Simphiwe Dana. Alex Elle. Labrynth. Ladeunff. ASA. Tay Iwar.

What is your least favorite thing about the music scene in SA?

People who don't respect your time. People who think you're doing this for charity.

What inspired your song Got My Heart and was it dedicated to someone special?

My verse is about my woman. She inspires a hell of a lot outta me.
What a thug!

If you were 80 years old, what would you tell your children?

I'll wait till I'm 80, to know. Hahahaha.

If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you, and why?

I have no clue hey. I hope Antwonne Fischer directs though. Sheesh!

If you were not doing music what would you be doing?

I'd be a strict author and seek out the best musician friends to accompany
my life journey.

Beer or Cider?

Juice.

Are you messy or a neat freak? 

I'm neat. Even my messes are neat apparently.

Are you a night owl or morning person?

Yes. Yes I am. Hahaha.

Do you have any upcoming projects?

Working on #TheFastRoad and anticipating #TheLoveLunchesEvents.
I don't know why this is in italics.
#200TruthsAboutLove is now in the hands of soon to be announced
Publishers.

If you were having a dinner party and could invite three famous people, who would they be?

Thabo Mbeki. Tom Hardy and Nayeerah Waheed.

What is your favorite holiday spot/food/gadget?

Gadget: My Innjoo NotePro

Holiday spot: Marseilles France.

Food: fois gras with duck sauce.

What is your most embarrassing moment?

I have none.

Last gift you gave someone?

My heart.

If this is our last ever conversation, what words of wisdom would you leave me with?

Love your woman in a way that makes other women jealous enough to want that quality
From the men they give their hearts to. Love her so much she laughs in her private time,
So good she cries dumbfounded and lost when she asks herself what you see in her,
Love your woman so much and so good, so well and so passionate that it makes your
Mother proud to have invested all that time in raising you. Love your woman and keep
Her kept in the ways you're committed to loving her. Then break that record every day
By outdoing today's efforts.

                           


No comments:

Post a Comment